16.4.10

RE: DEAR MOM

To: Mrs. Samantha Genowski
Date: --/--/--

Dear Mom,

I know it's been awhile since I e-mailed the family but I'm alright...we've been under constant jamming for weeks now and the only thing that makes it in and out is the supply convoys. I'll have to bribe a non-com with a few bucks in order to get him to pass this on the regular mail, I hope it makes it and the censors don't cut anything important.

Given my last letter and the news you can probably guess where I'm at, even if I'm not allowed to write it out loud. All I can say is that I'm still in Egypt, and the fighting has been terrible. Three days after my last e-mail, they pulled my unit out and shipped us to ---------  ----------- ------- --------. Since then we haven't slept in the same spot twice. Every day it's a different part of the city, and every night it's another bombed out building or ruined apartment complex. -------- was almost completely evacuated before the wave of Runic soldiers invaded, but not everyone got out. We're still finding pockets of civilians or refugees from when the Runic push took the lower half of the country. Sometimes they're healthy enough that we can get them to the convoys and get them out of the city. Sometimes, the Runic get to them first and then all we find is the ---------.

I'm not going to lie, I wish I was home with you, Dad and Mack every day. I wish I could see Amy have her third birthday, that I could hold her in my arms and never let her go and leave all of this behind. But I can't, because I've seen what the Runic do to children. Every time I start wishing that I could just leave this city behind and quit, I think of her and what the Runic will do if they get their hands on her or any other man, woman or child that gets in their way. I can't quit, not after what I've seen.



Sorry about the break, the Runic brought in an airstrike on the whole block and we had to clear out until command scrambled a few Typhoons to clear air for us. Its probably for the better I took leave of this letter where I did, it's hard sometimes to think of home after all I've seen here. With the city being so tight together, both sides are using a lot of infantry squadrons for urban combat. It makes sense, but the Runic don't take to it lightly. They've got these choppers, Purifiers I think they're called, that're armed with flamethrowers. Between the fire and the forcefields they can drop right in on an infantry squadron's hidey-hole and clear to whole building in a single burst. Being a Black Fox unit we don't usually have any effective weaponry to fight back and since they've been jamming our comms, we've taken to using pulse beacons to mark aerial attacks. It's probably more expensive then anyone really likes, but its the only way to get a signal to the Typhoons.

I'll write again as soon as I can. Tell Amy that I love her and let her know that her Mommy misses her very, very much. I love you Mom.

First Sergeant Laura Redcraft
Black Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment